Club News‎ > ‎

No Christmas Cheer for Senior Footballers

posted 28 Dec 2012, 13:53 by Tom Duggan   [ updated 28 Dec 2012, 13:58 ]

Muckalee 1-10 Mullinavat 0-7

It may have been the 23rd December but such is the state of football in this county that the senior football final was decided when the rest of the country was doing their Christmas shopping. Muckalee were seeking their third title on the trot and Mullinavat were seeking their second title. Mullinavat began brightly and Walter Burke, operating at centre forward, opened the scoring with a point in the second minute. Ian Duggan added another point in the third minute following a good pass from John Walsh. Mullinavat were flying and should have added a third point when they earned a 20 metre free following a foul on John Walsh but the chance went astray and momentum was lost. Gradually Muckalee were settling in to their rhythm and John Mulhall got their first score with a point in the ninth minute. They dominated the next fifteen minutes adding 1-4 without reply. Mullinavat were trying hard to regain some traction and Andrew McGovern lifted the siege with a pointed free in the twenty-fifth minute. Muckalee finished the half the stronger and added two more points before the break from John Maher and Colin McGrath. Half-time score Muckalee 1-7 Mullinavat 0-3.

Mullinavat came out strongly in the second half and set about the task of trying to reduce the deficit and Michael Malone was leading the charge. Time and again he drove forward scattering opponents aside as he went in search of scores. By the tenth minute the deficit was down to four points following two pointed frees from Andrew McGovern and a point from Willie O Dwyer. However Muckalee responded with two pointed frees from the excellent Colin McGrath. Michael Malone again went on a surging run and found James Culleton who pointed. Mullinavat kept attacking but were finding it difficult to break down a determined Muckalee defence. Michael Malone’s determination saw him one on one with Muckalee ‘keeper John Coonan but the shot was saved at the expense of a ’45. Muckalee held out and again went forward and finished strongly with three points, one an outstanding score from a sideline from John Maher. In the end the title went deservedly to Muckalee who were the better team overall. Mullinavat can take credit too for battling all the way to the final whistle but the title goes to Muckalee for the third year in a row. Despite the fact that the final was played two days before Christmas the standard of football played by both teams was quite good and some of these players will hopefully make themselves available to the senior county team in 2013.

Mullinavat: Willie Atkins, Andrew Delahunty, Paddy Raftice, Seamus Farrell, Michael Murphy, Willie O’Dwyer (0-1), Ger Malone, Michael Malone, Thomas Aylward, Micheál Farrell, Walter Burke (0-1), Ian Duggan(0-1), John Walsh, James Culleton (0-1), Andrew McGovern (0-3 Frees).

Subs: Simon Aylward, Jamie Fennelly, Liam Fennelly