Club News‎ > ‎

Seniors pick up first league points

posted 21 May 2015, 16:42 by Tom Duggan
Mullinavat 1-17 St. Martin's 1-5

Mullinavat earned their first points in the senior hurling league with a comprehensive victory over a disappointing  St. Martin's outfit.
Mullinavat played with the aid of a strong breeze in the first half. They led from the first minute and had stretched their lead to 12 points by half time. They were good value for this lead and even though they played most of the second half with fourteen men they comfortably withstood the feeble challenge of the St. Martin's men. St. Martin's will wonder just what went wrong as they failed to mount any passage of coherent play at any stage.
Paddy Raftice opened the scoring with a point for Mullinavat in the first minute.John Maher replied with a pointed free in the third minute.Remarkably St. Martin's failed to score for the next  26 minutes. Mikey Jones pointed in the fourth minute to put Mullinavat in front. Points followed from Paddy Raftice (2) and Padraic Gahan to put Mullinavat ahead by 0-5 to 0-1 after ten minutes. The 'Vat side added another five points without any reply through Mark Mansfield (2) Paddy Raftice (2) and a point from a sideline cut from Ger Malone. Five minutes from the break Liam Fennelly found Willie O Dwyer with a lovely pass and Willie set off on a run and buried the sliotar to the net. St. Martin's went on the attack immediately and were awarded a free just outside the 20 metres mark Colin McGrath's shot was saved but Brian Mulhall was quick to react and buried the sliotar to the net. Any thoughts of a St. Martin's revival were quickly dashed as Mullinavat reeled off three points before the break through Paddy Raftice (2) and Willie O  Dwyer.
Three minutes into the second half Mullinavat had a player red carded after an off the ball incident. Far from helping St. Martin's this only seemed to further unsettle the team as they failed utterly to make the extra man count. Indeed at times during the second half it looked as if Mullinavat had an extra player as time after time the St. Martin's deliveries were returned by an unmarked 'Vat player. Mullinavat responded to the sending off by adding two points from Willie O Dwyer and Mikey Jones.John Maher pointed  a free for St. Martin's but Paddy Raftice replied with a pointed free for Mullinavat.The quality of the game was deteriorating as Mullinavat were  now comfortably dealing with the St. Martin's challenge.  in the fifty fifth minute B. Byrne pointed for St. Martin's. Simon Aylward replied with a pointed free for the'Vat side.The northern side could only add two more points to their tally through Brian Mulhall and S. Kinsella. . For the southerners this was an important victory and a much needed boost to the morale.They looked the better organised side throughout the game. For St. Martin's it was a day they would like to forget.
Scorers: Mullinavat : Paddy Raftice (0-8, 0-4 frees, 0-1 '65), Willie O Dwyer (1-2), Mikey Jones (0-2),Mark Mansfield (0-2),
Ger Malone (0-1, sideline) Padraic Gahan (0-1), Simon Aylward (0-1).
St. Martin's : Brian Mulhall (1-1), John Maher (0-2 frees), B. Byrne (0-1), S. Kinsella (0-1)

Mullinavat: James Culleton, Joe Fennelly, Thomas Aylward, Seamus Farrell, Liam Fennelly, Simon Aylward,Padraic Gahan, Dinny Butler,Mark Mansfield, Joe Gahan Ger Malone,Ian Duggan,  Paddy Raftice Willie O'Dwyer, Mikey Jones.
Subs: Jamie Fennelly, Darren Kenneally, Adam Mansfield, Brian Phelan, Robbie Malone.