Match Reports

Shamrocks end title hopes

posted 15 Oct 2016, 11:46 by Tom Duggan

Our senior hurlers championship run came to a sudden end when they were comprehensively beaten by Ballyhale Shamrocks in Thomastown last Saturday. Shamrocks got off to a flying start with a goal in the second minute and they were never headed and ran out easy winners. click on the link below for full match report from the Kilkenny People:

Mullinavat recapture Senior Camogie Title

posted 11 Oct 2015, 12:57 by Tom Duggan   [ updated 15 Oct 2015, 14:57 ]

Mullinavat are back on top of Kilkenny Camogie after an emphatic victory over Thomastown in the senior final played in Ballyhale last Sunday. 

Mullinavat v Carrickshock Senior Championship

posted 2 Oct 2015, 15:22 by Tom Duggan

Mullinavat 2-16 Carrickshock 1-13

Mullinavat ran out impressive winners in this local derby played in Mooncoin on Saturday. They were full value for their six point victory and but for the brilliance of Jamie Power in the Carrickshock goal, the winning margin could have been more. Carrickshock scored their only goal in the final minute to reduce the deficit but the reality was they were comprehensively outplayed by their neighbours. For Mullinavat this was an important victory as it secures their senior status for 2016 and they will take a great deal of confidence from this performance as they prepare for a quarter final appearance next weekend.

Carrickshock began brightly and aided by a strong breeze they looked the better side in the opening quarter. Jamie Power’s huge puck outs were landing on the Mullinavat 20 metre line where Richie Power was causing problems for the ‘Vat full back line even though he was clearly restricted by injury. Shane Power opened the scoring in the second minute and Richie Power added a second point a minute later. Points from Ger Malone and Jamie Fennelly levelled the game and Kevin Farrell edged Carrickshock in front from a pointed free. Carrickshock had a let off in the sixth minute when Mullinavat were awarded a penalty. Mark Mansfield’s effort was saved by Jamie Power. Carrickshock took the game to their opponents and added three points to their tally, two from John Power and one from Michael Rohan. Ian Duggan pointed for the ‘Vat side in the fifteenth minute to reduce the deficit. Mullinavat were starting to get to grips with the game and points from Mark Mansfield (free), Dinny Butler, Jamie Fennelly and Joe Gahan saw the match all square by the twentieth minute. Carrickshock edged ahead again in the 22nd minute when Kevin Farrell pointed a free. Mullinavat went ahead for the first time in the 24th minute when Mark Mansfield’s free was gathered by Jamie Fennelly who laid off a great pass to Ian Duggan to fire past Jamie Power to the net. Ger Malone, who was a constant torment to the Carrickshock defence, added a second goal in the 29th minute to put Mullinavat firmly in control as half time approached. Brian Donovan and Jamie Fennelly traded points to leave the half time score 2-8 to 0-9 for Mullinavat.

Carrickshock needed to get back on terms but it was Mullinavat who upped their game in the second half. Jamie Power made a point blank save from Ger Malone and Willie O’Dwyer’s shot just went past the post . Mark Mansfield pointed a free following a foul on Willie O’Dwyer. John Power pointed a ’65 for Carrickshock. Mullinavat replied with points from Joe Gahan and Ian Duggan. John Murphy pointed for Carrickshock but Mark Mansfield added three points (2 frees) to stretch their lead to nine points as the match entered the final stretch. The Mullinavat defence was completely on top at this stage and Liam Fennelly and Padraig Gahan were repelling all comers.   Carrickshock could only add two points from John Power frees but Mullinavat cancelled these with points from Mark Mansfield (free) and Joe Gahan. John Butler had a late consolation goal for Carrickshock in the final minute but it was mere window dressing. Mullinavat advance to the quarter finals and Carrickshock must prepare for the relegation final where they will face St. Martin’s  

Scorers: Mullinavat: Mark Mansfield (0-6, 0-5frees)   Ian Duggan (1-2) Ger Malone (1-1) Joe Gahan (0-3) Jamie Fennelly (0-3) Dinny Butler (0-1)

Carrickshock: John Power  (0-5, 0-3 Frees, 0-1 ‘65),  Kevin Farrell (0-3, 0-2 frees) John Butler (1-0), Richard Power (0-1), Shane Power (0-1), Michael Rohan (0-1), Brian Donovan (0-1), John Murphy (0-1)

Mullinavat - James Culleton, Joe Fennelly, Robert Malone, Simon Aylward, Pauric Gahan , Liam Fennelly, Brian Phelan, Mark Mansfield, Dinny Butler, Ian Duggan, Joe Gahan, Michael Malone, Willie O’Dwyer ,Jamie Fennelly, , Ger Malone.

Subs:. Adam Mansfield, Mikey Jones, Seamus Farrell.

Carrickshock: Jamie Power, James Grace, John Dalton, Niall Tennyson, Darren O’Dwyer, John Tennyson, Damien Walsh, Shane Power, John Cahill ,Michael Rice,  John Power, Kevin Farrell ,Michael Rohan, Richard Power, Brian Donovan,

Subs: John Murphy, Pat Tennyson, John Butler, Aaron O’Neill.

Referee: Eddie Crowley (Mooncoin)

Under 21's bow out of the championship

posted 17 Dec 2014, 15:00 by Tom Duggan

Thomastown 1-9 Mullinavat 1-8
Mullinavat under 21 hurlers lost out to Thomastown by the narrowest margin in a tense battle in Ballyhale on Sunday. Mullinavat can have no complaints with the result as they had plenty of chances during the second half but just could not get the score they needed. Michael Donnelly got Thomastown off the mark with a point after 3 minutes. He added 3 more before Mullinavat raised a white flag through John Walsh. John Donnelly replied for Thomastown. Mullinavat had a point from John Walsh . John then collected a Thomastown puckout and set off on a run towards the Thomastown goal. He found Pat Mulhearn who made no mistake to level the game 1-2 to 0-5. Mullinavat were being punished for their indiscipline and had a number of frees brought forward for dissent. John Donnelly was making them pay dearly and by half time the score was Mullinavat  1-6 Thomastown 0-8.
Robbir Donnelly levelled the game in the 2nd minute and Thomastown were in front a minute later. Michael Donnelly found Gary Lehane and his pass found Adrian Burke who finished to the net. Remarkably this would be Thomastown's final score. It was to be the vital score however. Mullinavat threw everything at the Thomastown defence over the next 28 minutes but could only add 2 points to their tally. Adam Mansfield finished off some great grafting from the 'Vat players in the 8th minute to shoot a point. 15 minutes would pass before the next score, a point form a '65 from Simon Aylward. Mullinavat continued to press forward but their  valiant efforts went unrewarded and Thomastown hung on grimly for a narrow but deserving victory.
Thomastown: Darragh McGarry, Jay Burke, Barry Whelan, Ciarán O'Meara, John Barron, Robert O' Hanrahan, Craig Butler, Michael Donnelly (0-4, 0-1 free), Eoin Manning, John Donnelly (0-3), Gary Lehane, Robbie Donnelly, (0-2 , 0-1 free), Danny Monks, Adrian Burke (1-0), Jamie Lanigan.
Sub: Dylan Caulfield.
Mullinavat: Conor Frisby, Michael Jones, Tom Aylward, Nathan Malone, Brian Phelan, Simon Aylward (0-2, 0-1 free, 0-1 '65), Robbie Malone, Mark Mansfield (0-1), Conor Duggan, Darren Waters, Pat Mulhearn (1-0), John Walsh (0-4, 0-3 frees) Adam Mansfield(0-1), Liam Fennelly, Killian Dunphy.
Subs: Ryan Bland, Daniel Walsh, Damien Aylward.
Referee: Julian Dwyer

The wonderful 'Vat run ends in London

posted 14 Dec 2014, 03:01 by Tom Duggan

Kilburn Gaels 1-10 Mullinavat 1-8

Mullinavat's quest for an All Ireland title came to an end in cold and uninviting Ruislip  on Saturday. The game Kilkenny intermediate hurling champions were defeated by Kilburn Gaels (London) after  a tense well contested match. Kilburn Gaels led from the 2nd minute and were never headed. Their lead stretched to seven points at the three quarter mark and they had enough resolve to see off a late charge from the Rod Iron men to run out deserving winners.
Mullinavat will have huge regrets. especially with their first half performance as they racked up a total of nine wides. When all the figures were added up at the finish, the misses tally stood out for all the wrong reasons.
  A heavy overnight frost made the Ruislip pitch extremely testing but it was Kilburn Gaels who adapted better to the conditions.Their more direct approach yielded a better dividend and Mullinavat were guilty of over elaborating at times . The long grass and slippery underfoot conditions made it extremely difficult to play skilful hurling and  despite referee Eamonn Hassan's best efforts to keep the game moving the game never flowed .
Kilburn Gales registered on the scoreboard in the 2nd minute when Stephen Lambert pointed from play. He added a second point a minute later. Mullinavat's first score came in the 5th minute when Ian Duggan's sideline ball was grabbed by Jamie Fennelly who put the ball over the bar.
The visitorsbegan to find their feet but their good approach work was not reflected on the scoreboard. They drove three bad wides during  the following  few minutes. Stephen Lambert  punished any indiscretions in the Mullinavat defence with excellent freetaking and he nabbed his third point from a free in the 13th minute. Mullinavat got a much needed point from a John Walsh free after 21 minutes. Liam Fennelly who was Mullinavat's best forward showed great vision to pick out Willie O Dwyer who levelled the game in the 23rd  minute.
Stephen  Lambert converted  a free to restore Kilburn Gaels lead. Back came Mullinavat and Padraic Gahan sent a perfect delivery in to Willie O Dwyer who levelled the game in the 26th minute.
 Kilburn Gaels edged in front just before the break with a point from their danger man Stephen Lambert.
Half time score : Kilburn Gaels 0-5 Mullinavat 0-4
Neither side could get a foothold during the opening minutes of the second half as the strong low winter sun was now shining into the Mullinavat goal. In the  8th minute a  long range shot from Stephen Lambert was dropped by a 'Vat player and Kilburn grabbed a fortuitous goal.
 They seized the initiative and added three unanswered points, one from Keith Killilea and two frees from Stephen Lambert  in the next six minutes to give them a commanding  seven point lead as the match entered the final quarter.
Mullinavat were in trouble but they responded gamely, just as they have done throughout the championship. John Walsh , now operating at wing forward led the comeback.
He foraged deep  inside his own half and set off in determined fashion towards the Kilburn goal.Leaving two defenders in his wake he soloed 50 metres to shoot an inspirational point.
 Mullinavat won a free which was brought forward for dissent and again John Walsh pointed. Kiilburn Gaels responded and when Mark O' Dwyer broke through the Mullinavat defence a goal looked certain but 'Vat keeper James Culleton saved brilliantly.
 Padraic Gahan, who was outstanding at the heart of the Mullinavat defence, found John Walsh with an excellent delivery and John fired over to reduce the gap to four points. in the 53rd minute a long delivery from Brian Phelan was grabbed by Willie O Dwyer and he finished the ball to the net.
 There was now only a single point separating the sides with seven minutes of normal time left. It was all to play for. Kilburn Gaels went on the attack and were awarded a free which Stephen Lambert pointed.
 Back came Mullinavat and Padraic Gahan found Liam Fennelly with a long delivery but Kilburn 'keeper Kris Finnegan made an excellent save. Kilburn were not going to be denied.
 Martin Duggan pointed in the 59th minute to put three points between the sides. Brian Phelan found Willie O Dwyer with a long ball but Willie's rising shot went just over the crossbar. Normal time was up, three minutes of injury time was announced. Was there to be a late winner? Mullinavat went in search of a big score. They forced a free thirty metres out. John Walsh went for broke but his shot was saved.
The Londoners held out for a  deserved victory. Mullinavat's great run had come to an end.
They can look back on an outstanding campaign-undefeated in Kilkenny in league and championship, a first ever Leinster title and a return to the senior ranks in 2015.

Kilburn Gaels: Stephen Lambert (1-8, 0-6 frees), Martin Duggan (0-1), Keith Killilea (0-1).
Mullinavat: Willie O' Dwyer (1-3), John Walsh (0-4, 0-2 frees), Jamie Fennelly (0-1)

Kilburn Gaels: Keith Finnegan, Connor Hickey, Luke Gaule, Christopher McAlinden, Noel Brophy, Brian Regan, Keith Kennedy, Henry Vaughan, Barry Kiely, Martin Duggan, James Egan, Stephen Lambert, Andrew Power, Mark O'Dwyer, Keith Killilea.
Subs: Ozer McMahon Peter Kennedy

Mullinavat James Culleton, Joe Fennelly, Thomas Aylward, Seamus Farrell, Robert Malone, Padraic Gahan, Simon Aylward, Dinny Butler, Ian Duggan, Joe Gahan, Ger Malone, Liam Fennelly, Jamie Fennelly, Willie O'Dwyer, John Walsh.
Subs: Mark Mansfield, Brian Phelan,

Referee:,Eamonn Hassan (Derry)

Mullinavat claim Leinster Title

posted 28 Nov 2014, 13:21 by Tom Duggan

Mullinavat 1-13 Kiltale (Meath) 0-13

The programme notes for the Leinster intermediate Final stated that "nothing can compare to the raw passion that a big club game can create". What a fitting description of this epic encounter in Pairc Tailteann in Navan. Kiltale may have been rank outsiders in this contest but they came within a puck of a ball from pulling off a famous victory. Mullinavat have had to work hard thoughout the championship but they had to dig deeper than ever to withstand the wholehearted efforts of a gallant Kiltale outfit. The Meath team went toe to toe with Mullinavat throughout this contest and more than matched the Kilkenny side for much of the game. The difference in the end was Jamie Fennelly's goal, three minutes before the break. It gave Mullinavat a lead they never relinquished but they were pushed to the limit by the Meath men.
Kiltale came out of the blocks determined to set down a marker that they were here to win the game. They had three points on the scoreboard within seven minutes before Mullinavat could raise a flag : two from jack Regan and one from Peter Durnin. Mullinavat began to find their feet and Liam Fennelly got them off the mark in the eighth minute after good work by Joe Gahan, John Walsh worked really hard to score another point in the ninth minute. Thomas Aylward levelled the game a minute later with a monster free from his own 45 metre line. Mullinavat edged in front in the twelfth with a point from Joe Gahan following great work from Ger Malone. Back came Kiltale and they levelled when  a quickly taken free  caught Mullinavat napping and Jack Regan pointed. James Kelly put Kiltale ahead with a point within a minute and the Meath men were really asking serious questions of the Mullinavat  defence.Mark O Sullivan who was a constant danger throughout the game increased the lead with a point in the eighteenth minute. Mullinavat responded with a point from a '65 from John Walsh. Ian Duggan levelled the game with a point following good work from Ger Malone. . Thomas Aylward pointed another long range free to edge Mullinavat in front and then came the goal that Mullinavat had been threatening for a while. Liam Fennelly sent a perfect delivery to his brother Jamie and Jamie gave Kiltale goalkeeper Shane McGann no chance to put Mullinavat in the driving seat. Willie O'Dwyer added a point but Kiltale had the final score as the first half came to a close when Jack Regan pointed a free.
Half time score Mullinavat 1-8 Kiltale 0-7.
Kiltale were first out on the field and were anxious to get on with it and Jack Regan pointed a free in the second minute. He added another point from play in the sixth minute. The action was really hotting up now and John Walsh pointed a free in the ninth minute. Willie O' Dwyer added another point after a great pass from Joe Gahan in the tenth minute. Jack Regan then pointed a huge free from 100 metres and straight from the puckout Mark O'Sullivan sprinted past the 'Vat defence to score a wonderful point. There was now only two points in it and Kiltale supporters were really getting behind their team.  Mullinavat were up for the challenge. John Walsh pointed a free but Kiltale came back for more and Mark O' Sullivan scored a super point with Mullinavat defenders left in his wake.It was all to play for as the match entered the final quarter. Neither side added a score for the next nine minutes but there was no shortage of goalmouth action and both goalkeepers had to be on the alert as the two teams went hell for leather at it .John Walsh pointed a free when Liam Fennelly was fouled. Kiltale sub Ross Ryan scored an excellent point to reduce the deficit to two points. Kiltale threw everything at the Mullinavat defence in a gallant effort to level the game and as the match entered stoppage time they were awarded a free from 65 metres out. Jack Regan's effort went narrowly wide and from the puckout Liam Fennelly pointed to give the large Mullinavat contingent some relief. Both sides have to be complimented on serving up an enthralling hour's hurling . Mullinavat know that they have had a severe test but can also take great satisfaction from the manner in which they stood up to the challenge. In doing so they claimed an historic Leinster Championship and the right to contest the All Ireland quarter final against Kilburn Gaels in Ruislip London in two week's time.
Scorers: Mullinavat : John Walsh (0-5, 0-3 frees, 0-1 '65),Jamie Fennelly (1-0), Willie O' Dwyer (0-2), Liam Fennelly (0-2),Thomas Aylward (0-2 frees) Ian Duggan (0-1),   Joe Gahan (0-1),
Kiltale: Jack Regan (0-6, 0-5 frees), Mark O'Sullivan (0-4), James Kelly (0-1),Peter Durnin (0-1), Ross Ryan (0-1)
Mullinavat: James Culleton, Joe Fennelly, Thomas Aylward, Seamus Farrell, Robert Malone, Pauric Gahan, Simon Aylward, Dinny Butler, Ian Duggan, Joe Gahan, Ger Malone, Liam Fennelly, Jamie Fennelly, Willie O'Dwyer, John Walsh.
subs: Paddy Raftice, Brian Phelan,
Kiltale:Shane McGann, Anthony Donnelly, Padraig Donoghue, Ciaran Ennis, Stephen Donoghue, John Donoghue, David Donoghue, Padraig Kelly, Anthony Forde, Mark O'Sullivan, Cathal McCabe, James Kelly, Kevin Ryan, Pater Durnin, Jack Regan
.Subs: Ross Ryan, Fergal McCabe,

Referee:Justin Heffernan (Wexford)

Mullinavat are Intermediate Champions

posted 12 Nov 2014, 10:01 by Tom Duggan   [ updated 17 Nov 2014, 16:24 ]

Mullinavat 0-17 St. Patrick's 0-14
Click here for full match report of the final courtesy of The Kilkenny Reporter:

Click here for full match report of the final courtesy of The Kilkenny People:

The Great Escape: Semi final win v Tullogher

posted 31 Oct 2014, 10:31 by Tom Duggan

Click here for full match report of the dramatic win in the Intermediate semi final v Tullogher 26/10/2014 :

Mullinavat maintain 100% Record

posted 26 Aug 2014, 03:36 by Tom Duggan

Mullinavat Intermediate hurlers finished their league campaign with a fully deserved victory over Graigue Ballycallan in Piltown last week. For full report courtesy of The Kilkenny People click here:

1-10 of 29